Welcome Please Register or Login  

Main Menu
 Home Online Store Community Members options Search
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous

(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Rachel
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 26

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 19
Total: 19
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Photo Gallery
02: Forums
03: Photo Gallery
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Photo Gallery
07: Forums
08: Forums
09: Photo Gallery
10: Forums
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Statistics
14: Forums
15: Forums
16: Photo Gallery
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
coppermine
 Albums: 44
 Pictures: 478
  · Views: 47593
  · Votes: 5
  · Comments: 0
 

Forums › Rocketry › The Workshop › Project X

Project X
Rocket Builds threads from the workshop of Alien Works
Post new topic Reply to topic Printer Friendly Page
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
The following users give thanks for this topic Anonymous - Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:12 PM
EMiR
Site Admin
Site Admin

EMiR

Offline

Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Posts: 163

Post Post subject: Project X
Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 09:14 AM
Reply with quote

ok guys,

This is a bit of a mystery build, I’ll divulge all at the end of the build.

For the time being I’m calling it Project X

Here is the first step in the build… The forward body tube….

I’m rolling up a 1000mm x 4in diameter Carbon fibre tube..

In this lay-up I’m using 2 layers of 3k uni-directional carbon, with 3 layers of 2x2k twill over the top.

I’m doing this way so the tubes are able to withstand extreme mach stresses (not giving anything away )

So here’s a bit of the process I’m doing…


This is the Uni-directional Carbon cloth cut to length and width


Getting the 4" mandrel prep'd with a wax paper release, spiral wound.


getting the epoxy and rollers ready..



Here you can see the 2 x uni-directional laid-up, and I'm starting the 2x2k twill layers.. sorry couldn't get more photos,
but it's pretty hard when you in the middle of it all...


Making sure I get the layup nice and strait...


Got the peel ply layer on, I've gone around twice here, becuase it give a better finish, and less chance of bubbles in the carbon..


I post cured it for 4hrs at about 70C, then an hour at about 90C..

All up I used 390g of epoxy in the lay-up and lost about 100g in the post cure (came off with peel ply)

Total weight of the tube 640g, which I'm very stocked with that, as I've
got under a 1:1 cloth to epoxy ratio. and with no dry spots.
I'm still a little wet in the inside of the tube, so I could have got a better
ratio, but I think the epoxy was going off to quick for me.. and the first
130g mix was leathering up by the time I got the peel ply on..

But still I'm very happy with the result... very clean tube, and super strong..

Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Photo Gallery
EMiR
Site Admin
Site Admin

EMiR

Offline

Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Posts: 163

Post Post subject: Re: Project X
Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 AM
Reply with quote

I got the thickness just right too, heres a nose cone fit test...




and I got the finish Line pretty strait and clean also...



tube over all.. (white marks are my grubby hands touching it)

Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic Printer Friendly Page
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum